Saturday, October 4, 2008

"Nothing Gold Can Stay"

When I was in 8th grade, I obsessed over the book & movie "The Outsiders" (yes, my age is showing!) and I memorized the poem that C. Thomas Howell (Ponyboy!) recited at dawn. I started to comprehend the meaning of the poem as an adult, but didn't appreciate it fully until I recently did a shoot with the golden light. This poem popped in my mind (yes, I still have it memorized! Isn't funny what gets retained in your memory?) and I am able to appreciate it more. It's also a nice reminder as to why we need to keep our Earth green and recycle! Thank you, Robert Frost!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Robert Frost

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

No comments: