Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 Blessings & Reflection

Wow...where did 2009 go? It seems like just yesterday I was enjoying the sunshine of the summer and now I'm packing up Christmas decorations and getting ready for bridal shows! Looking back at the year, I decided to count my blessings and reflect.

[I started writing this blog post on the morning of December 30, 2009 - after I had written about 2/3 of the post, I received a Facebook message from a friend of mine. She told me of a former classmate who had lost his home to a fire the day before. I immediately started pulling things together for a goodie bag and dropped off some toiletries and other necessities for the family...and yes, I included some Hersey Kisses as necessities! :) Please keep the Potter family in your thoughts and prayers this New Years and we all must be grateful for the roof over our houses]

1. On a personal level - I am blessed with my family. I have an amazing understanding husband who just gets this crazy business I work in! Thank you, Dave! I also am blessed to have two fantastic kids who think it's perfectly normal for couples to come to their house and talk about weddings! Thank you, Alexandra and Evanthea for embracing the wedding business and enjoying the learning process of taking over Mommy's business eventually! I am also blessed to have awesome parents who taught me business, how to stand up for myself, and the fact that yes, girls can do anything (I'll give Mom more props in that department;) )! My parents have always encouraged and challenged me my entire life and at age 37, I'm grateful for it! thank you!

2. I have been thinking about my grandfather a lot this year - he passed away about 10 years ago but he always encouraged my art. He, himself, was a very talented artist but as every other Greek immigrant did, he owned a restaurant! :) Euxapistw Papou para poli (Thank you Grandfather very much) for the talent and the encouragement to be an artist.

3. We are blessed to have wonderful doctors. With all of the bashing of heathcare of late, I think props need to go out to the best doctors who get paid well - without them, we never would have noticed the health issues of my youngest daughter. This year was a roller coaster ride for my 4 year old, Evanthea. she was diagnosed with LVAS and treated with a hearing aid, all within three months. It has been a daily challenge adapting to her new restrictions, but we are blessed to have the knowledge with how to handle it.

4. I am blessed with my clients - this past year has brought to me not just wonderful couples but amazing friends through weddings. I have remained friends with many of my clients and their friendship is a blessing - thank you!

5. On the professional side - I was voted Best of Weddings by the knot brides for the 3rd year in a row. For that, I am truly blessed and humbled. Thank you everyone for that honor!

6. 2009 has brought to my door some new photographers - Jessica McBee, Liss Flint, Dave Field & JR Burrows. This is definitely the staff to beat! Thanks for your help and hard work this past year and I am really looking forward to growing with you guys in the upcoming year!

7. As silly as this may sound, it's not - I am thankful for Facebook. Without it, I would not have reconnected with so many faces of the past, met new friends, reconnected with family, and greeted new clients. I am able to share my photos, update my crazy life, vent a little, listen to others, learn from others, and help. Through Facebook, I met my neighbors who (oddly enough) have the same last name, and I had the opportunity to photograph them before Tyler was deployed with the National Guard. Through Facebook, I learned of the recent tragedy of a former classmate losing their home to a fire right after Christmas and found out right away how we could help. Through Facebook, I see the strength of many of my family members as they fight their way through cancer. Through Facebook, I am able to "talk" to clients and other photographers so that I can grow. Thank you, Facebook, and everyone I have come across in my journey!

I can go on and on as there is so much for me to be grateful for. 2009 has been a blessed year and I hope we all continue to count our blessings in 2010.

Happy New Year to all from Parsons Photography!

No comments: