Friday, November 14, 2008

"What equipment do you use?"

When I meet new photographers, the first question they ask is "what equipment do you use" or "what camera should I buy to get great shots". My answer is you already own two of the most prized photography equipment - your eyes and your instinct. You see a shot, you shoot.

This photo I actually took with my BlackBerry and my 4 year old daughter, Alexandra (in the foreground) set it up in our minivan. You can see a trend where Alexandra's career is heading...and if you have met her during a wedding meeting you KNOW where her career is going!
The resolution is intentionally set low on my BlackBerry (I text more pics to my parents than anything!), but the composition is my intention to show. You can take great pictures with just about any camera. Once you learn the basics, then you can look into different cameras and lenses, but be sure to remember that the camera doesn't take the photo, the photographer does!

No comments: