Friday, June 19, 2009

A Day at the Beach...literally!

We have a summer cottage in Old Lyme, CT (you may recognize some of the background photos from other sessions) - this house has been in my family for generations (my grandparents purchased it when my father was little and my grandmother actually grew up renting a house nearby). My brother and I spent every summer there until we were in college.

I love it there - it is heaven to me. I learned how to swim there (16 years of swimming lessons and countless jellyfish stings); I learned how to sail, drive a motor boat, waterski, play tennis, play softball, play baseball with the boys, kiss the boys (don't tell my parents!). I used to go to the beach to be alone, to be happy, to have a good cry, to write poetry, to paint (I actually found an old watercolor I painted in 1984 of the sunset over the field near the beach), to photograph, to love, to laugh, to sit, to sing and to dance. It's my place.

I introduced my husband to the beach and he was hooked. It's now our place.

Now my children are at the age where they appreciate "the beach house" (Alexandra is convinced everyone has a "beach house" and a "Coventry house"). And they look forward to it - it's a bigger treat than chocolate for them, well, almost! :)

Today we went to clean the house and get it ready for the summer. After vacuuming, making beds, dusting, scrubbing, gardening...I said forget it, we're hitting the beach! Here's our day:

Evanthea says Super Heros need a bike to ride to the beach
and Alexandra had to take care of her "baby" - it's actually Snoopy's sister, Belle.

As soon as they hit the sand, it was straight for the water - they're my kids alright! :)
Alexandra was the poser of this shot - Mommy had to lie in the sand (what's a photo shoot without me coming home with stuff on my clothes?) and Alexandra wanted a bewildered look...

My girls are a huge part of my world; but sometimes I forget just how small they really are in this world. The next two photos remind me of that.

OK, next shot - nothing done to the color of the image - it was seriously a creepy black cloud on this otherwise gorgeous day! I admit I pulled one of my mother's favorite phrases, "go stand over there" because I wanted them with the creepy cloud!
Closer shot with creepy black cloud

This one's for Heather - thanks for getting me into the "body part shots"! Love it! :)
Here's to a very long and lazy summer for a 5 year old and her 3 1/2 year old sister! Enjoy it, my loves!

No comments: