Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Coventry Farmers' Market


Last year, I saw a Facebook post from the Coventry Farmers' Market asking if any photographers would be willing to donate their time and talent to the market. I was intrigued...giving back to the community, which is really truly MY community - heck yeah!

So I sent over an email...come to find out I went to school with one of the organizers! Awesome reuniting with Jean Nelson (my 6th grade partner in crime - I think we used to argue over who was cuter: Van Halen or Duran Duran...I won't tell which side I was on!), who is the Event Coordinator for the market! Then I got to know Winter Caplanson who is the Market Goddess (I'm not sure what her real title is, but I'm pretty sure it's close...). Then I met many photographer friends through the market - Liss Flint (who now works with me), Dot Drobney (I'm not sure if she really exists...we have been in the same place at the same time, randomly...but have never met in person!). And it was super cool going to the market and bumping into old (old = long time ago, not age...must clarify!) friends: Kristen Noyes (I have known Kristen from back when she used to bring whoopie pies into preschool as her snack - oh, how I envied her!), Erica Andrews (Erica's husband used to play with his band at our old nightclub), Kim & Bryan and Rosie & Orion (recent wedding couples!), the list goes on! Every week, it was a new reunion!! It was an amazing summer! (let's not forget the yummo food - I kept the kitchen well stocked with kettle korn that was ALLERGY FREE!, fresh strawberries, fresh meats, salsa...I'm hungry thinking about it all!!)

This year, I wanted to do more. I became a Business Partner with the market and we are now sponsoring a market day (August 15 to be exact - we will be doing portraits of kids & families!). I also threw a few ideas out to Winter, as there are so many photographers that are stepping up and donating their time to the market (KUDOS to those photogs - you guys are AWESOME!), I want to do something REALLY different. So I have some ideas up my sleeve! It's all hush hush right now - but if you see something REALLY random at the market and a photographer right behind it...stop by and say hi, it's probably me! ;)

This summer, please make it a point to come and support the local businesses in the Coventry area. We're not Wal-Mart, we're not millionaires, we're just a bunch of cool people with great stuff to sell! And we're your neighbors! :)

See you at the market!

For details on the Summer Coventry Farmers' Market, please visit their website or become a fan on their Facebook page!

3 comments:

ESTOccasions said...

I think it is always better to give back to your own community. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the great photographs and of course attending the farmer's market with my kids.

Dot said...

Haha...I really DO exist! And hope we get to meet, in person, this year! Can't wait to see what you're up to! ;-)

Unknown said...

I can vouch for Dot! I've seen her in person, I have photos!! haha, thanks for the shout out Diane, I can't wait to find out what you are doing!