Friday, July 3, 2009

Lessons Learned

This post is more personal than professional.

Dave & I have been trying to stress responsibility with the girls, they have fish that they have to feed: Alexandra feeds in the AM and Evanthea feeds in the PM. We have had a total of 2 Bettas (Dorothy & Nemo - they passed the second day we had them), 4 goldfish (Dorothy, Nemo, Donald, Dorothy II), and 1 catfish (Lisa). I decided to get the catfish because I got tired of cleaning the bowls/tank so often, I wanted a bottom feeder to help.

Once Dorothy II and Nemo passed on to greener tanks, Lisa was left. We told the girls, "no more fish". So they got the idea that they're ready for a kitten. Evanthea has it planned - hers will be named Fluffanutter, and she'll sleep at her feet in her bed and eat tuna from the can. Alexandra's will look and act just like my cat I had in high school/college/Chicago.

Dave and I thought we were slick parents by telling the girls that we can't get a cat until they learn responsibility with the fish. They've been told this many times...until last week, I said the same speech to Evanthea. As a mom, I had to add my little speech prepared: "you know, Daddy & I have been feeding the fish every day and cleaning the tank, I'm not sure you even remember what to do!".

My little three year old looks me straight in the eye, and tells me (matter of a fact): "Mommy, Lisa is YOUR fish, of course you're supposed to take care of her! Can we get a kitten?".

Moral of the story - be careful what you teach children, they might just learn something! :)

Happy 4th of July everyone!

No comments: