Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Welcome home, Troops!

Today I took a break from editing, weddings, and portraits and went up to the National Guard hangar up by Bradley Airport. I went to welcome the CT Army National Guard 250th Engineering unit home from Iraq.

I jumped at the chance to photograph this awesome homecoming! Why? Well, there are a few reasons: 1. I'm a sucker for sappy moments (hence the reason why I primarily shoot weddings...), 2. I'm a sucker for happy couples who live nearby (try across the street), 3. I'm a sucker for someone with the same last name as me (really!), and 4. I am connected to this unit - my father commanded the unit back in....well, let's just say back in the day! ;)


When we first arrived, I loved observing the anxious families who were waiting patiently. The air was charged with anticipation - it was awesome! Kids running around, moms and grandmoms fidgeting...I loved it!

As the time got closer, everyone went outside to wait. I had an amazing opportunity to stand in the media area. It was cool to be out there, surrounded by all of the TV cameras...CBS, NBC, ABC...me!
Here is Tyler's family and friends anxiously awaiting their safe arrival!
When the plane landed and turned towards the crowd, this was the reaction!
I thought this was awesome! The fire department made two arches for the plan to drive through.
One of my favs - I love the look and feel!!

Once permission was granted to approach the plane - I jumped!! Headed out and took shots as everyone deplaned - LOVED the excitement of everyone looking for their family members!!
I saw Tyler walk by and called out his name - look at that smile!!! :) Welcome home!!
Yes, that's Tyler's wife! (Like you couldn't tell...) Gave me chills to see and photograph this series!
Now THAT'S a family welcome!!
Tyler with his niece, Samantha.


No, I didn't pay him for the name tag! And no, we're not related! But I do love the fact that Tyler has the coolest last name! ;)
How cool is it that as soon as he gets home, Tyler get the keys to his new ride AND an American beer? :)
Next time someone at the airport complains about the treatment of their luggage...I want them to think of this photo! yes, that's their luggage...and the wait for the rest!
The whole fam!
11 year old Black Belt Sammie tries her hand at holding her uncle's ruck sack. It lasted a whole 5 seconds...but I have to say she's a trooper for trying!
Now that's a welcome home! ;)
Keep a yellow ribbon up until they come home...they came home and Tyler cut the ribbon down!
Welcome home to everyone who made it safely home from overseas. We are still praying for our troops who are still serving, we hope they come home soon!

And please, say a little prayer tonight for those families whose soldier has fallen. Those we cannot forget.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW Diane, wow wow wow what an amazing job you did. I am sitting here in tears. From the entire Noyes family we thank you soo much for being there on such a special day. How cool was that being right there with the media, both Joe and I got a kick of you saying, wow look at her go, yup that is our BEST photographer here with us, GO DIANE. Your story here was beautiful. I was there the night the boys were deployed and how all you heard were those very same children, mothers, wives, grandparents, sobbing when that plane pulled away from us. To be there today and watch those very same boys walk down those stairs was such a happy day. You listened to the families laughing and smiling and pacing just waiting. Thank you to all soldiers and thank you Diane for being such a good friend, who is so part of our family now.

Thank you,
Kristen

KParsons02 said...

Okay first off I JUST saw this now lol second off again ur amazing. It was such an honor to have you there. It meant A LOT to Tyler & I that u took time out to come do this for everyone. Those are memories that I can forever have and share thanks to you. You've really done a lot for us and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. I'm glad u were there for the happy reunion, like Kristen said completely different from the deployment. Ur an amazing photographer, the best and I'm blessed to have u as a part of our family ... shoot we already have the same last name =D Again thank you do much and I will be coming to you for baby shots ... =D

Thank You, All our Love,
Katherine & Tyler